BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Why? Because.... The Top Ten

This is my father. He and I are similar in many ways. (Too many ways, probably.) The reason why I bring him up at all here is that he too loves to read.

But that is where this similarity ends.

You see, about five years ago my father decided in his infinite wisdom (and I'm using that expression sarcastically - love you, Dad!) that the only kind of book worth reading.....hang on.....that the only work of literature worth reading is one that has stood the test of time and been deemed a classic by the literary elite (of which I'm sure he would like to include himself.) Although he doesn't have a sweet, rockin'-awesome blog like mine :) he does have a list of books he has read which includes titles like The Brothers Karamozov and War and Pieces of my hair that I pulled out whilst trying to finish the thing. (Okay, so that's not a real title.)

When I was visiting my parents recently, Dad asked me if I ever read the classics. I had already told him before that I rarely read anything but children's literature. He looked at me with an expression that I interpreted as saying, "I feel sad for you." But all that came out of his mouth was, "Why?" So once again for Dad, and now for all of you, I give you my top ten reasons for almost always exclusively reading children's literature.

10. You won't pop a blood vessel reading children's literature. It's been said popping blood vessels are not good for your health.

9. People won't roll their eyes when I tell them what I'm reading.

8. I will sit down and read children's literature and still have energy later on for other good stuff in life - like watching HGTV.

7. I won't say things like, "Nevertheless, authors in those days had a masterful grasp of the depth of the English language as evidenced in their magnificent use of extensive vocabulary which is second only to their genius of syntax." Instead, I'll say, "Dude.... this book is lester, dude." (Sorry, inside joke - couldn't be helped.)

6. I won't look like I'm confused or in pain when I read.

5. I will be a resource for parents who want to know about current children's literature, and I'll be able to give them an honest opinion because I'm actually reading it.

4. I love reading books written by people who respect children and their ability to think, who don't dumb down a story or make it predictable just because a preteen/teenager is reading it.

3. Hopefully I will get my students excited about reading something because I recommended it.

2. I respect, admire, and envy children's literature authors. I wish I could do what they do - so I read what they write and live vicariously through them.

1. I like them. I really, really like them.

So there you have it. Oh, I just thought of another similarity between my dad and me. We've both read The Tale of Despereaux. He read it while he was visiting us this week - all because of my recommendation.

I'm sure if you ask him, he'd say I forced him to read it. Same difference. What matters is, now on his list of books read, he's got a work of children's literature! So the next time he asks me if I only read kids' books, I can say, "No, I also read the classics!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got him to read the "Long Way from Chicago" series and he laughed all the way through them and said they were cute. Ah, how quickly he forgets.

- R

Pastor David Reed said...

I'll never knock great children's literature. In fact, I'll recommend one of my own:

Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, The Yearling

Great children's literature leads to a love for all quality liturature. When these kids grow up they can't miss on any of the following in their adult years. Here is recommended a few scattered examples.

Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
Harriet Beecher Stowe, Uncle Tom's Cabin
W. Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage
Booth Tarkington, The Magnificent Ambersons
James Fenimore Cooper, Last of the Mohicans
John Steinbeck, Cannery Row
Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Daniel Keyes, Flowers for Algernon
Herman Melville, Billy Budd
Alexandre Dumas, The Three Musketeers
Alan Paton, Cry, The Beloved Country
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Bruce Catton, A Stillness at Appomattox
James McPherson, Battle Cry of Freedom
Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamozov
William Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair
Patrick O'Brian, Master and Commander
Baroness Orczy, The Scarlet Pimpernel
Oliver LaFarge, Laughing Boy
Alexander Solzhenitsyn, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
Sinclair Lewis, Babbitt
Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre
Margaret Mitchell, Gone With The Wind
Walter Van Tilburg Clark, The Ox-Bow Incident
Zane Grey, Riders of the Purple Sage
Booth Tarkington, Penrod
Anthony Trollope, Barchester Towers

And then, of course, "Tale of Despereaux" which is just plain Lester Dude. - D