BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Thief Lord

My husband is irritated regularly by the things I don't remember. What he doesn't realize is that I do remember a lot of things. Some things you just don't forget - and many of them are inconsequential bits of memories.

For example, I remember which student recommended that I read The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke. It was Rachel. That was 7 or 8 years ago - she's a junior in college now. She really liked it - and I must agree. Although the book was nothing like I expected.

As a general rule, I tend not to have expectations of books I've never read. That way, I either avoid a great deal of disappointment or gain a great deal of enjoyment in my reading. With that in mind, I'm going to give you the briefest overview of this book, so as not to spoil it for you.

Brothers Prosper and Bo were sent to live with their aunt after their mother died. But Aunt Esther only wants blond-haired 5-year-old Bo, not his 12-year-old brother. Prosper decides that the only way for them to stay together is by running away. Their mother always spoke longingly of Venice, Italy, so that is where they go. The boys are befriended by a small group of orphans/runaways who make their home in an abandoned theater and make their living by pickpocketing. But the children are led by another child - the elusive Thief Lord - who brings them the valuable items he has stolen from some of the wealthiest homes in Venice. The kids take these items and sell them to Barbarossa, the antique store owner.

Barbarossa surprises the children with a job for the Thief Lord. As the group heads through the city to meet with the unknown Conte, unbeknownst to them, the detective Aunt Esther hired to look for Bo is following them. Victor Getz, in spite of his many disguises, is found out by the children. And yet, in trying to discover where the gang is living, he makes an even greater discovery. Among the thieves, there is a liar!

Go ahead and read this one - see if I'm a liar in my opinion, or a thief of your time.

0 comments: