BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 8, 2009

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle is the first book written by Avi that I ever read. Although it has not been the last, I think it is my favorite! This book was the only Newbery Honor Book for 1991 - it lost the Medal to Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli. (No offense to Jerry, but I think Avi should have won!)

Charlotte Doyle is a proper young lady returning to America after receiving her education at a fine English school. She is sailing on a ship that is owned by the company for whom her father works. All is arranged - she is to have traveling companions for the journey. But on arriving at the docks, she finds no companions and a crew that is none to interested in having her board ship. But she is to follow her father's instructions, and board the Seahawk she does.

What meets her there is the beginning of a voyage unlike any other. It begins seemingly enough - a rough crew and a distinguished commanding officer. At first Charlotte trusts Captain Jaggery, but certain events that occur cause her opinion of him to be tainted. The sailing is full of mutinous conversation and sabotage. Eventually, after becoming part of the crew herself, Charlotte is convicted of murder!

Will the deceit that hangs over all the members on the ship somehow balance the scales so that justice can be served? Or will there be a revolution? Ah, mateys, you must read the book to find that out!

This novel's value was worth using my free time to create a teaching unit specifically about it. Like The Westing Game, this is among the books that I recommend to students who have difficulty finding books they enjoy reading. I actually had a boy take me up on this suggestion this year - and I think he secretly may have enjoyed the book, not that he would admit it to me! I tell you, this one will keep the kids up past bedtime reading with a flashlight - it's that good! And if you are old enough to set your own bedtime, I'd encourage you to read it too! :)

0 comments: